May 30 – Jun 1

23 06 2009

This weekend was big for two reasons: First, my mom and sister Ruth were coming to town, second, I was running the San Diego Rock and Roll Marathon on the 31st.

My mom and sister were moving from Naples, FL to Everett, WA and they were driving the whole way, so they made a few stops along the way. They stopped in Houston to see some old friends there, they stopped in San Antonio to see my brother and his girlfriend and finally, they stopped in San Diego to see me! It had been about a year and a half since I’d seen them because I wasn’t able to go see them this last Christmas. So it was really good to have them come visit.

What made their visit even sweeter was that they were coming in time for my marathon and they would get to be part of my cheering squad. The other part of my cheering squad was my then girlfriend, now fiancee, Maren! It was so cool to have them there cheering me on.

The marathon was one of the coolest experiences I’ve ever had. This was my marathon and, for that matter, my first real race of any kind. I didn’t realize what I was getting myself into until I arrived at the starting line the morning of the race. Gradually more and more people showed up, until there were thousands of us milling around, waiting in ridiculously long lines for port-a-potties, stretching and making other last minute preparations for the big race. When the race started there were 22,000 runners lined up. It was crazy that there were so many! The start of the race was kind of anticlimactic because they just say “runners ready… go!” and then, because there’s so many people, you end up walking for a minute or two before you reach the official starting line and the crowd lightens up enough for you to run.

It was also really cool once the race was under way. I was always surrounded by people, some dressed as Elvis, some dressed in other costumes or matching outfits. Some guys even ran the whole marathon barefoot! Because it’s the Rock and Roll Marathon there were live bands playing every couple of miles or so. And in addition to the official drink and refreshment stations along the route, there were plenty of random people offering all sorts of snacks and refreshments. People were handing out otter pops, bananas, sodas, cheez-its, pretzels, beer, I even saw one guy trying to advertise his restaurant by handing out burritos.

marathonFor me, the run went great for the first 15 miles, then as I took a scheduled walking break, my legs started to cramp up and I started to get faint. I walked until mile 17 where they had some Gu energy supplement stuff, that stuff got rid of the faintness, but I was still cramped up and stayed that way for the rest of the race. I couldn’t run more than a half mile at a time. I had to run and walk and run and walk. It added about an hour to my race time. But I still finished in 5 hours and 25 minutes. And crossing that finish line is, honestly, one of my proudest moments. Add to that the fact that as I crossed the finish line both my mother and Maren were shouting my name and beaming at me from the stands. It felt great!

After I finished, I was pretty spent. Maren and my mom said that I was slurring my speech and was just generally exhausted-looking. But I was done and it felt awesome. I picked up my goodie bag and went home to have a massage and take a nap.

The day after the marathon my mother, sister, and Maren all went to the zoo. We spent a good chunk of the day there, and it was pretty fun. My legs were pretty dead, though. Then that evening we had dinner with Maren’s siblings. And after that I said my goodbyes to my mom and sister because they were leaving the next morning.

And that’s the rundown of that weekend. Full of fun and excitement and achievement. But I have to say, I was glad to be done with the marathon. Training for that sucker took up a lot of my time and I was tired a lot. It felt great to do it, but I was glad it was done. Although, since I felt I could have done better, I did catch myself looking up other marathons that I could run to redeem myself. So there might be another marathon in my future. I’ll keep you posted.




4 responses

25 06 2009

Congratulations again on the run Peter! You’ve inspired Theresa and I (although Theresa is the only one to take up running, since I am involved in training for a different kind of marathon – ack)

25 06 2009

YOU HAVE A BLOG!!! oh my! why didnt i know about this sooner! haha

29 06 2009

I hope there is another marathon for you, maybe I will be in it too?? I think about you everyday … I am still SOOOOO EXCITED for you and Maren!!!!!!

10 07 2009

Peter, I ran a 5k and feel like a champ. I can only imagine how hard the run was. You ran almost 9 5k’s that’s amazing!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: